Beach Volleyball Posts Two Wins At GSU Diggin' Duals
Communications Student Assistant
ATLANTA, Ga. – The No. 7 ranked LSU beach volleyball team (12-5) extended its winning streak to 10 matches, collecting wins over No. 10 Georgia State and Jacksonville State Saturday at the GSU Diggin’ Duals tournament at the GSU Complex.
The team will return to action tomorrow morning against UAB at 7 a.m. CT, wrapping up the weekend against Austin Peay at 9 a.m. CT.
“We had a really good day today. I’m proud of our group for coming together to win both matches. We have been grinding against great competition all year, and I think that confidence from playing great teams over and over pulled us through the Georgia State match,” said head coach Russell Brock.
Against the Lady Panthers, Megan Davenport and Callan Molle won in straight sets at the five by a score of 21-12, 21-16 to post the first point of the match. No. 4 duo Cati Leak and Maddie Ligon followed with a two-set win, 24-22, 21-11 to give LSU the 2-0 lead.
At the one, Emmy Allen and Lilly Kessler dropped their match in straight sets 21-14, 21-15 as Georgia State cut the Lady Tigers’ lead to 2-1. Freshman duo Claire Coppola and Kristen Nuss tallied the match-clinching point for the team, working a two-setter 21-17, 21-18, for the third point of the match.
No. 3 tandem Olivia Powers and Katie Lindelow saw their 10-match winning streak snapped in a tightly-contested three sets by a score of 21-19, 16-21, 12-15, as LSU took the match 3-2, defeating Georgia State for the first time in program history.
“Georgia State is such a well-coached team and are always incredibly disciplined,” said Brock. “They never give points away, so to beat them at their place is a real accomplishment.”
In the second match against Jacksonville State, Leak and Ligon earned their second win of the day on court four after taking their match in two sets, 21-11, 21-7. With the win, Leak and Ligon broke the 10-win mark as a pair, combining for a 10-3 record this season with half of their wins coming against top-11 competition.
The Lady Tigers grabbed a 2-0 lead after Davenport and Emma Hiller also won in straights at the five by a score of 21-9, 21-14.
Lindelow and Powers rebounded from their first match, compiling a 21-6, 21-12 victory on court three to clinch the match for LSU.
At the two, Allen and Kessler added to the lead with another win in straights, 21-9, 21-19. No. 1 pair Nuss and Coppola closed out the day for LSU, finishing off Jacksonville State with a 21-12, 21-8 victory in a two-setter, giving the Lady Tigers the 5-0 win. With the win, Coppola and Nuss improved to 14-3 on the season with a 7-3 record against top-20 opponents.
“The match against Jacksonville State was a classic let-down scenario, but we focused on executing and playing our brand of volleyball,” added Brock. “The intensity and attention to detail was impressive. I was pleased with how the team played. We’re looking forward to two great matches tomorrow morning.”
LSU 3, Georgia State 2
1. Delaney Rohan/Chelsea Ross (GSU) def. Emmy Allen/Lilly Kessler (LSU) 21-14, 21-15
2. Claire Coppola/Kristen Nuss (LSU) vs. LeeAnn Starr/Haley Pa’akaula (GSU) 21-17, 21-18
3. Brooke Weiner/Jessica Fourspring (GSU) def. Olivia Powers/Katie Lindelow (LSU) 19-21, 21-16, 15-12
4. Cati Leak/Maddie Ligon (LSU) vs. Olivia Stasevich/Georgia Johnson (GSU) 24-22, 21-11
5. Megan Davenport/Callan Molle (LSU) def. Sarah Agnew/Kate Novack (GSU) 21-12, 21-16
6. Taylor Bradley/Jeni Clark (LSU) def. Amie Held/Allie Elson (GSU) 21-17, 21-15
LSU 5, Jacksonville State 0
1. Kristen Nuss/Claire Coppola (LSU) def. Katie Will/Jae-Lyn Visscher (JXST) 21-12, 21-8
2. Emmy Allen/Lilly Kessler (LSU) def. Hannah Kirk/Charis Ludtke (JXST) 21-9, 21-19
3. Olivia Powers/Katie Lindelow (LSU) def. Sadie Anderson/Maddie Cloutier (JXST) 21-6, 21-12
4. Cati Leak/Maddie Ligon (LSU) def. Hailey Hughes/Shayla Schmidt (JXST) 21-11, 21-7
5. Megan Davenport/Emma Hiller (LSU) def. Mackenzie Rombach/Ashley Clingan (JXST) 21-9, 21-14
6. Taylor Bradley/Jeni Clark (LSU) def. Kim Kassinger/Kaylee Frear (JXST) 21-7, 21-12