Women's Tennis Falls to Ole Miss
Communications Student Assistant
OXFORD, Miss. --- The LSU women’s tennis team dropped its road match against the Ole Miss Rebels 4-0 at the Palmer/Solloum Tennis Center Friday.
The Tigers fell to 12-5 (5-3 SEC) with the loss while the Rebels improved to 12-7 (3-5 SEC).
“We had a lot of missed opportunities today that ultimately cost us the match,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “We needed to be tougher mentally and emotionally. We can’t let a few lost opportunities affect us.”
Ole Miss took advantage of a hot start on their home court, taking the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
The pairing of Natalie Suk and Anna Vrbenska defeated freshmen Jade Lewis and Becca Weissmann on court two before Arianne Hartono and Alexa Bortles battled back from an early deficit to defeat Joana Valle Costa and Ryann Foster on court one.
The Rebels increased their lead to two points when No. 71 Hartono avenged her loss against Lewis earlier this season, defeating the Tiger freshman this time around on court one.
The Tigers quickly found themselves in a 3-0 hole following Tea Jandric’s 6-3, 6-4 win over Weissmann on court five.
Vrbenska clinched the fourth and final point for Ole Miss with a 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 win over Jessica Golovin on court four, snapping Golovin’s five-match win streak in SEC play.
The Tigers return to action Sunday when they take on the No. 24 Mississippi State Bulldogs at 1 p.m. CT.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs. Ole Miss
Mar 31, 2017 at Oxford, Miss.
(Palmer/Solloum Tennis Center)
#28 Ole Miss 4, #19 LSU 0
1. #71 Arianne Hartono (OM) def. #30 Jade Lewis (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #82 Natalie Suk (OM) vs. #86 Joana Valle Costa (LSU) 7-6 (7-4), 5-6, unfinished
3. Zalina Khairudinova (OM) vs. #105 Ryann Foster (LSU) 1-6, 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
4. Anna Vrbenska (OM) def. Jessica Golovin (LSU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
5. Tea Jandric (OM) def. Becca Weissmann (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alexa Bortles (OM) vs. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0, unfinished
1. Arianne Hartono/Alexa Bortles (OM) def. #20 Joana Valle Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) 7-5
2. Natalie Suk/Anna Vrbenska (OM) def. Jade Lewis/Becca Weissmann (LSU) 6-2
3. Zalina Khairudinova/Tea Jandric (OM) vs. Jessica Golovin/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 5-5, unfinished
LSU 12-5; National ranking #19
Ole Miss 12-7; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,5,4)