Men's Tennis Falls at Georgia, 4-1
Communications Student Assistant
ATHENS, Ga. – After clinching the doubles point, the LSU men’s tennis team fell short at Georgia, 4-1, Thursday evening at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
With the loss, the Tigers fall to 5-12 on the season while Georgia improves to 10-6.
Coach Brown on the Match
“We played a strong doubles point to get the lead,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “Georgia played error free at courts one and two in singles, and they have good depth in their lineup, which was the difference.”
After freshman pair Rafael Wagner and Agie Moreno fell to Wayne Montgomery and Walker Duncan on the third court, 6-1, the Tigers bounced back with wins on courts one and two to notch LSU’s only point of the day.
Senior duo Jordan Daigle and Justin Butsch defeated the No. 8 pairing of Jan Zielinski and Robert Loeb, 6-3, on court one. In a close match on court two Gabor Csonka and Julian Saborio fought hard to earn a 6-4 win against Nathan Ponwith and Emil Reinberg.
Wagner fell in consecutive 6-2 sets to Jan Zielinski on court four to tie the match at 1-1. On court five, Nikola Samardzic took a loss to Walker Duncan, 6-3, 6-0 as Georgia took the 2-1 lead.
The Bulldogs snagged a 3-1 lead on court two after No. 32 Wayne Montgomery notched a straight-set, 6-1, 6-3 win on court two against No. 56 Justin Butsch.
To clinch the match, Nathan Ponwith defeated No. 44 Jordan Daigle, 6-2, 6-2 on court one.
The Tigers will host Texas A&M Saturday, March 25 at 2 p.m. at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs. Georgia
March 23, 2017 at Athens, Ga. (Dan Magill Tennis Complex)
1. Nathan Ponwith (UGA) def. #44 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #32 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. #56 Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) vs. #65 Emil Reinberg (UGA) no result
4. Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Walker Duncan (UGA) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Agie Moreno (LSU) vs. Robert Loeb (UGA) no result
1. Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. #8 Jan Zielinski/Robert Loeb (UGA) 6-3
2. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Nathan Ponwith/Emil Reinberg (UGA) 6-4
3. Wayne Montgomery/Walker Duncan (UGA) def. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-1
Georgia 10-6; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,2,1)
Live on ESPN3 as part of UTSA's College MatchDay
Official: Clark Weaver