Men's Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader Against Alcorn St.
Communications Graduate Assistant
BATON ROUGE — The LSU men’s tennis team swept a doubleheader against Alcorn State with a 7-0 win and a 4-0 win Sunday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the win, LSU improves to 5-9 on the season while Alcorn State falls to 4-15 in dual season play.
Earlier in the day, the Tigers defeated Vanderbilt 4-3 to notch their first conference win of the season.
Coach Brown on the Matches
“It was an opportunity to get some guys in matches that haven’t necessarily been in the lineup,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “It was a chance for some guys to keep their confidence and maybe work on a couple of things. I think we did all of that. There weren’t a lot of setbacks that we weren’t expecting. I think these guys really learned how to dominate a little bit better in a situation that you don’t get very often in the SEC because the competition is so tough day-in and day-out. It was nice to take a break from that for a little bit and get some guys some confidence.”
The Tigers took the doubles point with two quick wins on courts two and three. Julian Saborio and Eric Samuelsson defeated Nischay Rawal and Nuno Rocha, 6-1, on court two. Agie Moreno and Nikola Samardzic took a win on court three against Ivan Matas and Suyash Gupta, 6-1.
On court six, Saborio gave the Tigers the 2-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-1 win against Matas.
Samardzic followed on court two with a 6-2, 6-1 win against Nikita Kostikov as LSU extended its lead to 3-0.
Rafael Wagner clinched the match on court four with a 6-0, 6-2 win against Rawal on court three.
In his first appearance on court one, Samuelsson gave LSU the 5-0 advantage as he took a 6-3, 6-4 win against Kert Kilumets.
Senior Justin Butsch notched a 6-0, 7-5 win on court two against Gupta as LSU had the 6-0 lead.
Finally, Agie Moreno completed the sweep on court five, defeating Rocha in a second-set tiebreaker, 6-2, 7-6(3).
The Tigers only played singles in the second match and compiled a quick 4-0 win against the Braves.
On court six, Saborio notched a double bagel, recording a 6-0, 6-0 win against Nuno Rocha to give the Tigers the first match point.
Samardzic defeated Gupta, 6-1, 6-1, on court one as LSU extended its lead to 2-0.
The Tigers notched the third match point when Butshc defeated Kilumets, 6-2, 6-1, on court three.
Wagner clinched the match for the second time against Alcorn on court five with a 6-1, 6-0 victory against Matas.
The Tigers travel to Tuscaloosa to face the Alabama Crimson Tide on Sunday, March 19 at 1 p.m. at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
March 12, 2017 Alcorn State vs. LSU at Baton Rouge, La. (LSU Tennis Complex)
1. Eric Samuelsson (LSU) def. Kert Kilumets (Alcorn), 6-3, 6-4
2. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Suyash Gupta (Alcorn), 6-0, 7-5
3 Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Nikita Kostikov (Alcorn), 6-2, 6-1
4. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Nischay Rawal (Alcorn), 6-0, 6-2
5. Agie Moreno (LSU) def. Nuno Rocha (Alcorn), 6-2, 7-6(3)
6. Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Ivan Matas (Alcorn), 6-0, 6-1
1. Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU) vs. Nikita Kostikov/Kert Kilumets (Alcorn), unf.
2. Julian Saborio/Eric Samuelsson (LSU) def. Nischay Rawal/Nuno Rocha (Alcorn), 6-1
3. Agie Moreno/Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Ivan Matas/Suyash Gupta (Alcorn), 6-1
Order of Finish:
Singles: 6, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5
Doubles: 2, 3
1. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Suyash Gupta (Alcorn), 6-1, 6-1
2. Agie Moreno (LSU) vs. Nikita Kostikov (Alcorn), 2-6, 1-2
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Kert Kiluments (Alcorn), 6-2, 6-1
4. Eric Samuelsson (LSU) vs. Nischay Rawal (Alcorn) 2-6, 3-2
5. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Ivan Matas (Alcorn), 6-1, 6-0
6. Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Nuno Rocha (Alcorn), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Singles: 6, 1, 3, 5