Women’s Tennis Falls to No. 18 Arkansas
Communications Student Assistant
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. --- The LSU women’s tennis team dropped their first SEC road match of the season to the No. 18 Arkansas Razorbacks by a score of 5-2 at the Billingsley Tennis Center Friday.
The Tigers fell to 8-4 (1-2 SEC) with the loss while the Razorbacks improved to 11-2 (2-0 SEC).
“This was an extremely competitive match that came down to a handful of points on each court,” said co-head coach Julia Sell.
The Razorbacks overcame a quick start by the Tigers to take the doubles point, as Arkansas battled to a 6-1 victory over Jessica Golovin and Skylar Holloway on court three before clinching the first point with a 6-3 win over Becca Weissmann and Jade Lewis on court two.
The Razorbacks continued their momentum with Guilia Pairone’s 6-4, 6-0 win on court five over Weissmann, followed by a 6-4, 6-2 win by Leolia Jeanjean over No. 83 Ryann Foster on court three.
After getting off to a quick 6-1 win in the first set, Holloway dropped the next two sets to give Natsuho Arakawa the court six win as Arkansas clinched the overall match.
Singles play would continue, however, and Golovin was the first Tiger on the board with a 7-6(3), 7-5 victory over Mia Jurasic on court four.
No. 116 Joana Valle Costa lessened the gap with a win of her own on court two in a three-set thriller against No. 118 Ana Oparenovic, 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(0).
No. 63 Shannon Hudson wrapped up the match for the Razorbacks with a comeback 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over No. 39 Lewis on court one, handing the LSU freshman her first singles loss as a Tiger.
The Tigers return to the court Sunday against the Missouri Tigers at the Mizzou Tennis Complex at 10 a.m.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs. Arkansas
Mar 10, 2017 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(George M. Billingsley Tennis Center)
#18 Arkansas 5, #29 LSU 2
1. #64 Shannon Hudson (ARK) def. #39 Jade Lewis (LSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #116 Joana Valle Costa (LSU) def. #118 Ana Oparenovic (ARK) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(0)
3. Leolia Jeanjean (ARK) def. #83 Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Mia Jurasic (ARK) 7-6(3), 7-5
5. Guilia Pairone (ARK) def. Becca Weissmann (LSU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Natsuho Arakawa (ARK) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. #42 Joana Valle Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) vs. Shannon Hudson/Guilia Pairone (ARK) 5-2, unfinished
2. Ana Oparenovic/Mia Jurasic (ARK) def. Jade Lewis/Becca Weissmann (LSU) 6-3
3. Leolia Jeanjean/Natsuho Arakawa (ARK) def. Jessica Golovin/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-1
LSU 8-4; National ranking #29
Arkansas 11-2; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,3,6,4,2,1)