Men's Tennis Comes Up Short Against No. 13 Florida
Communications Graduate Assistant
GAINESVILLE, Fla. —The LSU men’s tennis team secured three singles victories Sunday afternoon, but it was not enough as the Tigers fell to No. 13 Florida, 4-3, at the Ring Tennis Complex.
With the win, Florida improves to 8-5, 1-1 in SEC play on the year while LSU falls to 2-8 and 0-2 in conference.
Coach Brown on the Match
“We pushed ourselves and Florida to the limit,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “We had two tough 4-3 losses to top-20 teams. If we harness the energy and pain from the losses, we will get stronger and be better from it moving forward.”
Florida took the early 1-0 lead as No. 9 Johannes Ingildsen and Alfredo Perez defeated Jordan Daigle and Julian Saborio, 6-0, on court one. Maxx Lipman and Elliot Orkin took the 6-3 win on court two against Justin Butsch and Gabor Csonka to give Florida the lead moving to singles play.
The Gators extended their lead to 2-0 after Lipman defeated Eric Samuelsson, 6-4, 6-2 on court five.
Freshman Agie Moreno stepped in on court six for the Tigers but fell in straight sets to No. 120 Jordan Belga, 6-1, 6-2, as Florida took the 3-0 lead.
The Tigers fought back to earn back-to-back points on courts two and one, respectively, to put the score at 3-2.
On court two, Butsch defeated No. 92 Orkin in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, for his third-straight win.
Daigle notched his second consecutive win against a ranked opponent on court one, earning a hard-fought 7-5, 6-2 victory on court one against No. 6 Perez.
Florida clinched the match on court four when Ingildsen took the win against Nikola Samardzic in the second set tiebreaker, 6-4, 7-6.
The Tigers added their final point on court three as Csonka notched a 7-6, 6-3 win against Chase Perez-Blanco.
The Tigers return to the LSU Tennis Complex and search for their first SEC win of the season Friday against Kentucky at 5 p.m.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
March 5, 2017 LSU vs. Florida at Gainesville, Fla. (Ring Tennis Complex)
1. Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. No. 6 Alfredo Perez (Florida), 7-5, 6-2
2. No. 41 Justin Butsch (LSU) def. No. 92 Elliott Orkin (Florida), 6-4, 6-3
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Chase Perez-Blanco (Florida), 7-6, 6-3
4. Johannes Ingildsen (Florida) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 6-4, 7-6
5. Maxx Lipman (Florida) def. Eric Samuelsson (LSU), 6-4, 6-2
6. No. 120 Jordan Belga (Florida) def. Agie Moreno (LSU), 6-1, 6-2
1. No. 9 Johannes Ingildsen/Alfredo Perez (Florida) def. Jordan Daigle/Julian Saborio (LSU), 6-0
2. Maxx Lipman/Elliott Orkin (Florida) def. Justin Butsch/Gabor Csonka (LSU), 6-3
3. Joshua Wardell/Chase Perez-Blanco (Florida) vs. Rafael Wagner/Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 5-4 unf.
Order of Finish:
Singles: 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 3
Doubles: 1, 2