Daigle, Butsch Earn Wins as Tennis Falls at South Carolina
Communications Graduate Assistant
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Seniors Jordan Daigle and Justin Butsch secured singles wins on courts one and two for Tigers, but it was not enough as the LSU men’s tennis team fell in the Southeastern Conference opener 4-3 against the No. 19 Gamecocks at the Carolina Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
With the win, South Carolina improves to 11-2, 1-0 in SEC play on the year while LSU falls to 2-7 and 0-1 in conference.
Coach Brown on the Match
“Today’s match was a tough one to lose because we defeated some of their better points,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “We needed one more player to step up, but we are improving and getting closer to a complete match from top to bottom.”
The Tigers started off the match strongly as newly paired Daigle and Julian Saborio defeated Alex Fennell and Sam Swank, 6-4. Butsch and Gabor Csonka followed with a 7-6 win against Yancy Dennis and Harrison O’Keefe on court two to give LSU the 1-0 advantage.
South Carolina tied the match at 1-1 after Rafael Wagner fell in straight sets on court three to Andrew Schafer 6-1, 6-2.
On court six, No. 105 Thomas Mayronne defeated Eric Samuelsson in consecutive 6-2 sets to give the Gamecocks the 2-1 lead.
Nikola Samardzic fought on court five but was unable to come up with a win and eventually fell to Alex Fennell, 7-5, 6-4.
South Carolina clinched the match as Yancy Dennis defeated Gabor Csonka in three sets on court four, 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
Daigle notched his second-straight victory on court one and his second victory of the year against a ranked opponent, as he defeated No. 43 Gabriel Frederich, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
On court two, No. 41 Butsch took a 7-6, 4-6, 7-6 win against Harrison O’Keefe to make the final score, 4-3.
The Tigers will travel to Gainesville, Florida to face the Gators Sunday, March 5 at 12 p.m. CT at the Ring Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
March 3, 2017 LSU vs. South Carolina at Columbia, S.C. (Carolina Tennis Center)
1. Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. #43 Gabriel Friedrich (SC), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 41 Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Harrison O’Keefe (SC), 7-6, 4-6, 7-6
3. Andrew Schafer (SC) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU). 6-1, 6-2
4. Yancy Dennis (SC) def. Gabor Csonka (LSU), 6-4, 1-6, 2-6
5. Alex Fennell (SC) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 7-5, 6-4
6. No. 105 Thomas Mayronne (SC) def. Eric Samuelsson (LSU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Jordan Daigle/Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Alex Fennell/Sam Swank (SC), 6-4
2. Justin Butsch/Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Yancy Dennis/Harrison O’Keefe (SC), 7-6
3. Andrew Schafer/Gabriel Friedrich (SC) def. Rafael Wagner/Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 6-2
Order of Finish:
Singles: 3, 6, 5, 4, 1, 2
Doubles: 3, 1, 2