Men's Tennis Falls to Rice, 4-0
LSU Sports Interactive
BATON ROUGE—The LSU men's tennis team fell to 1-6 on the season after Rice defeated the Tigers 4-0 Sunday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Rice Owls improved to 6-4 on the year.
Coach Brown on the Match
“It was a tough match with Rice,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “It’s kind of been the theme every time that we have played them. The scores were a little closer the last two times, but ultimately, this match probably would have been another 4-3 had we continued.
“We are constantly looking for solutions and for answers. We haven’t stopped yet, and we are starting to figure some things out. Obviously we need someone to step up in the bottom of the lineup to go along with what we are capable of at the top. The good thing is that we are capable at the top. It’s a lot easier to fill in the spots below that. There’s still focus on the project.”
Rice took the 1-0 lead after winning matches on courts two and three. Gabor Csonka and Julian Saborio fell, 6-3, to Emanuel Llamas and Oscar Janglin on court two. Rafael Wagner and Nikola Samardzic fought to stay in the match at court three but eventually fell 6-3 to Eric Rutledge and Jake Hansen.
Emanuel Llamas defeated Julian Saborio in straight 6-1, 6-1 sets to give Rice the 2-0 advantage.
Rice stretched it to a 3-0 lead after Nikola Samardzic fell on court three, 6-3, 6-1 to Jake Hansen.
On court four, Gabor Csonka fell in attempt to push the match to a third set. David Warren defeated Csonka 6-1, 7-6(8) as Rice clinched the match.
The Tigers will wrap up their home stand with a match against Lamar on Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Feb. 19 Rice vs. LSU at Baton Rouge, La. (LSU Tennis Complex)
1. Justin Butsch (LSU) vs. Jamie Malik (Rice), 6-3, 2-6
2. Jordan Daigle (LSU) vs. Tommy Bennett (Rice), 6-2, 6-6
3. Jake Hansen (Rice) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Eric Rutledge (Rice) vs. Rafael Wagner (LSU), 7-6(5), 3-4
5. David Warren (Rice) def. Gabor Csonka (LSU), 6-1, 7-6(6)
6. Emanuel Llamas (Rice) def. Julian Saborio (LSU), 6-1, 6-1
1. No. 9 David Warren/Tommy Bennett (Rice) vs. Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU), 5-3, unf.
2. Emanuel Llamas/Oscar Janglin (Rice) def. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU), 6-3
3. Eric Rutledge/Jake Hansen (Rice) def. Rafael Wagner/Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 6-3
Order of Finish:
Singles: 6, 3, 5
Doubles: 2, 3