Men's Tennis Falls to Tulane, 4-2
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE— After taking the doubles point, the LSU men’s tennis team was unable to carry the momentum into singles and fell, 4-2, to Tulane Thursday night at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the loss, LSU falls to 1-5 on the dual season while Tulane improves to 5-2.
Coach Brown on the Match
“We were able to play better doubles tonight and gained momentum, and Gabor (Csonka) found his game tonight,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “Those are two spots that if you would have said that we would have succeeded in, we would have felt pretty good about the match.”
“Unfortunately, we had a couple of leads on the singles courts that got away from us. We found some positives, and there are some things that we are definitely still learning from.”
On court one, Jordan Daigle and Justin Butsch notched a 6-1 win against Sebastian Rey and Chi-Shan Jao. Gabor Csonka and Julian Saborio took a 6-2 win on court two to give the Tigers the 1-0 advantage entering singles competition.
Tulane tied the match at 1-1 as No. 30 Constantin Schmitz defeated No. 94 Jordan Daigle. 6-3, 6-1, on court one.
Gabor Csonka notched his first win of the dual season with a straight-set 6-3, 6-2 win against Luis Erlenbusch on court five to give the Tigers the 2-1 advantage.
On court six, Agie Moreno fell in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, against Tim Ruetzel to even the score.
The Green Wave pulled ahead 3-2 after Ewan Moore defeated Nikola Samardzic in consecutive sets 6-3, 6-3, on court three.
After taking the first set 6-1 on court four, Rafael Wagner fell in sets two and three 7-5 and 6-0 as Tyler Shick clinched the match for Tulane.
The Tigers will continue their home stand with a match against Rice on Sunday, Feb. 21 at 2 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Feb. 16 Tulane vs. LSU at Baton Rouge, La. (LSU Tennis Complex)
1. No. 30 Constantin Schmitz (Tulane) def. No. 94 Jordan Daigle (LSU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Sebastian Rey (Tulane) vs. No. 41 Justin Butsch (LSU), 6-4, 5-5
3. Ewan Moore (Tulane) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Tyler Schick (Tulane) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU), 1-6, 7-5, 6-0
5. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Luis Erlenbusch (Tulane), 6-3, 6-2
6. Tim Ruetzel (Tulane) def. Agie Moreno (LSU), 6-2, 6-3
1. Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Sebastian Ray/Chi-Shan Jao (Tulane), 6-1
2. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Ewan Moore/Luis Erlenbush (Tulane), 6-2
3. Constantin Schmitz/Tyler Schick (Tulane) vs. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU), 5-2 unf.
Order of Finish:
Singles: 1, 5, 6, 3
Doubles: 1, 2