Women's Tennis Opens 2017 with Pair of Sweeps
Communications Student Assistant
BATON ROUGE --- The LSU women’s tennis team opened its 2017 season with two dominating 7-0 victories over Northwestern St. and Southern in a doubleheader at the LSU Tennis Complex Saturday.
“I thought it was a really solid start top to bottom,” said co-head coach Julia Sell. “Everybody looked really fit and decisive in all their play. This is a great starting point for the season.”
In LSU’s morning match against Northwestern State, the Tigers took the first point of the match in a commanding doubles series.
The No. 27 ranked pairing of Joana Valle Costa and Ryann Foster defeated Iryna Vardanian and Polina Mutel 6-2, while Skylar Holloway and Jessica Golovin teamed up to take down Kateryna Avram and Vladislava Litvinova 6-1.
In singles competition, Skylar Holloway and No. 83 Foster made quick work of their opponents to win courts six and three, respectively. Neither Holloway nor Foster dropped a single set in their singles matches, winning 6-0, 6-0, earning the Tigers two more points.
Freshmen Becca Weissmann and Jade Lewis soon followed with their first dual victories as Tigers. Weissmann defeated Emilija Dancetovic 6-0, 6-1 on court five, while Lewis took care of Iryna Vardanian 6-1, 6-3.
Joana Valle Costa rounded out singles play with a hard-fought victory over Polina Ivanova on court one with a score of 7-5, 6-4, clinching the seventh and final point for the Tigers in their sweep of the Demons.
In the late match against Southern, the Tigers again clinched the doubles point in convincing fashion.
Foster and Golovin paired up to defeat Chirewa and Moore 6-2 while the duo of Holloway and Abby Owens took down Raymond and Neal 6-2. Lewis and Weissmann paired up for the second time on the day to beat Chakanyuka and Mbaya 6-1.
In an overall impressive performance in her first match in Purple and Gold, Lewis continued on to defeat Stephanie Mbaya 6-0, 6-0 on court one.
“Jade is such a great competitor,” said Sell. “There’s no point where she isn’t 100 percent intense and focused and fighting for every point. In college tennis, that goes a very long way and to come in as a freshman who just started in January, she’s adjusted perfectly. You couldn’t ask for a better start than that.”
Golovin and Weissmann each won their singles matches with scores of 6-0, 6-1, to clinch the match for LSU, and Foster defeated Tanaka Chakanyuka 6-1, 6-2 on court three further the lead to 5-0.
Owens brought the Tiger lead to 6-0 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory over Mia Kent before Holloway secured the 7-0 sweep with a 7-5, 6-2 win against D’Jeri Raymond.
The Tigers will head to Charlottesville, Va. to compete in the ITA Kickoff Weekend against Wake Forest on Saturday, Jan. 28 followed by either Virginia or Ole Miss on Sunday.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#19 LSU 7, Northwestern State 0
1. Joana Valle Costa (LSU) def. Polina Ivanova (NWST) 7-5, 6-4
2. Jade Lewis (LSU) def. Iryna Vardanian (NWST) 6-1, 6-3
3. #83 Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Polina Mutel (NWST) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Vladislava Litvinova (NWST) 6-2, 6-3
5. Becca Weissmann (LSU) def. Emilija Dancetovic (NWST) 6-0, 6-1
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Kateryna Avram (NWST) 6-0, 6-0
1. #27 Joana Valle Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Iryna Vardanian/Polina Mutel (NWST) 6-2
2. Jade Lewis/Becca Weissmann (LSU) vs. Polina Ivanova/Emilija Dancetovic (NWST) 4-3, unfinished
3. Skylar Holloway/Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Kateryna Avram/Vladislava Litvinova (NWST) 6-1
Northwestern State 0-1
LSU 1-0; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,5,2,4,1)
#19 LSU 7, Southern 0
1. Jade Lewis (LSU) def. Stephanie Mbaya (SU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Darnesha Moore (SU) 6-0, 6-1
3. #83 Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Tanaka Chakanyuka (SU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Becca Weissmann (LSU) def. Nicki Neal (SU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. D'Jeri Raymond (SU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Abby Owens (LSU) def. Mia Kent (SU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Ryann Foster/Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Rufaro Chirewa/Darnesha Moore (SU )6-2
2. Jade Lewis/Becca Weissmann (LSU) def. Tanaka Chakanyuka/Stephanie Mbaya (SU) 6-1
3. Skylar Holloway/Abby Owens (LSU) def. D'Jeri Raymond/Nicki Neal (SU) 6-2
LSU 2-0; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3);Singles (1,2,4,6,3,5)