LAKE CHARLES, La. – Senior Andria Aguilar and sophomore Morgan Schuetz teamed for a dominant victory in the women’s 6k race to lead the LSU cross country teams Friday at McNeese State’s Cross Country Relay at the Enos Derbonne Complex to begin the 2014 season.
The Tigers and Lady Tigers were among four schools competing in the meet that included runners from McNeese State, Louisiana-Lafayette and Northwestern State.
The men competed in the 8k race with two-man teams running 4k splits, and the women competed in the 6k race with teams of two running 3k splits.
Schuetz and Aguilar, who lined up as part of LSU’s B team, completed the 6K race with a time of 19 minutes, 52.58 seconds, finishing well ahead of LSU’s A team of Ashley Welborn and Chaiss Matthews by more than a full minute.
Welborn and Matthews gave LSU a sweep of the top two spots in the relay with a time of 20:55.00.
Sophomore Danielle Avery and freshman Andrea Maxwell posted a solid performance placing sixth for the LSU D team with a time of 21:25.12. Sophomores Elizabeth Dunning and Jenna Walker placed ninth, clocking a 22:21.02 for LSU E team.
Junior Travis Pope and Philip Primeaux were runners-up out of 17 teams for the men. Pope and Primeaux, LSU’s A team, completed the men’s 8k course in 25:19.28 to finish just nine seconds behind McNeese State’s Ryan Holroyd and Nathan Jones with a winning time of 25:10.71. Senior Philip Dempsey and sophomore Blair Henderson posted a 26:06.39 for a seventh-place finish for LSU’s B team.
Four freshmen posted solid performances for the first debut with the Tigers.
LSU’s D Team of Bryan Stamey and Daniel Tanner placed ninth with a time of 26:33.68. LSU’s C Team of Jack Wilkes and D.C. Lipani finished 14 seconds behind Stamey and Tanner for a 10th-place finish.
The Tigers and Lady Tigers return to action Sept. 12 as they travel to Houston, Texas, to compete in the Rice Invitational. The meet will take place at Rice Intramural Fields. The women will begin at 6:15 p.m. CDT and the men will begin at 6:45 p.m.
For the latest information on LSU’s men’s and women’s cross country teams, fans can follow the Tigers and Lady Tiger on Twitter @LSUTrackField and on Facebook by liking LSU Track & Field.
Men’s Team Results (8k race)
1. McNeese B (Ryan Holroyd, Nathan Jones) 25:10.71
2. LSU A (Travis Pope, Philip Premeaux) 25:19.28
3. McNeese C (Oliver James, Brock Moreaux) 25:42.07
4. McNeese A (Enock Bor, Enrique Soto) 25:56.74
5. McNeese D (Nicholas Kiprono, Fisher Hamilton) 25:58.68
6. UL-Lafayette C (Matthew Rice, Bryce Robinson) 26:05.91
7. LSU B (Philip Dempsey, Blair Henderson) 26:06.39
8. UL-Lafayette A (Corbett Orso, Beau Robinson) 26:24.42
9. LSU D (Bryan Stamey, Daniel Tanner) 26:33.68
10. LSU C (Jack Wilkes, D.C. Lipani) 26:47.03
11. Northwestern St. D (Guy Butts, Joshua Wilkins) 26:57.84
12. UL-Lafayette B (Jacob Chicola, Trey Bonin) 27:03.05
13. UL-Lafayette E (Dylan Heck, Sean Bezdek) 27:31.55
14. UL-Lafayette D (Scott Brewster, Logan LaGarde) 27:32.52
15. Northwestern St. B (Lucas Moncla, Jeremy Elliott) 28:43.81
16. Northwestern St. C (Hunter Wamack, Skylor Reese) 29:35.57
17. Northwestern St. A (Tyler Corsin, Miles Brown) 34:41.63
Women’s Team Results (6k race)
1. LSU B (Morgan Schuetz, Andria Augilar) 19:52.58
2. LSU A (Ashley Welborn, Chaiss Matthews) 20:55.00
3. UL-Lafayette A (Ashley Irwin, Danielle Castaldi) 21:12.58
4. UL-Lafayette C (Courtney Broussard, Anna Devitt) 21:17.15
5. Northwestern St. A (Erin Wrozek, Jacqueline Rushford) 21:25.12
6. LSU D (Andrea Maxwell, Danielle Avery) 21:50.18
7. UL-Lafayette D (Claire Hodges, Courtney Musgrove) 21:52.77
8. McNeese A (Gemma Bridge, Rhian Dawes) 21:57.81
9. LSU E (Elizabeth Dunning, Jenna Walker) 22:21.02
10. McNeese C (Danielle Jones, Alison Smegal) 22:30.07
11. LSU C (Rebecca Little, Carly Boyce) 22:36.52
12. McNeese B (Cori Storms, Angelina Covington) 22:46.68
13. UL-Lafayette E (Lindsay Lagarde, Kaylei Esfeller) 22:47.00
14. McNeese D (Sara Booth, Lauren Cooper) 23:05.75
15. Northwestern St. C (Emily Sitarz, Ashley Adams) 23:13.24
16. Northwestern St. B (Erin Sitarz, Annie Fillers) 23:44.08
17. McNeese E (Emily Mouton, Jill Biagini) 24:43.01