BATON ROUGE, La. - The LSU men’s tennis team (5-3) will host No. 25 Kentucky (7-4) and the University of New Orleans (3-1) beginning Friday at 3 p.m. for the start of conference play for the 2014 dual season.
“Kentucky has been a rival of ours that we’ve gone back and forth with,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “We’re excited about having a good crowd, we’re excited about being outdoors, and we’re excited for SEC play.”
LSU leads the dual-match series with Kentucky 30-16 and leads the series with UNO 25-0. LSU last competed in Ann Arbor and fell 5-2 to No. 26 Michigan on Feb. 21. Kentucky fell 5-2 to No. 3 Oklahoma. New Orleans last competed against Jackson State, which was a 4-0 victory for the Privateers.
LSU has the No. 20 doubles team in junior Chris Simpson and sophomore Boris Arias. Simpson is also the No. 109 singles player. Kentucky’s Tom Jomby is the No. 14 singles player, and Beck Pennington is ranked No. 99.
According to the lineups released by the SEC, Simpson is likely to compete against No. 14 Jomby on court one. Both players have only one loss on court one this season.
“There are quite a few good matchups,” Brown said. “I think the lineups will pretty interesting, and it will be a good match. The doubles point should be a big point.”
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
1. #14 Tom Jomby (UK) vs. #109 Chris Simpson (LSU)
2. Alejandro Gomez (UK) vs. Boris Arias (LSU)
3. #99 Beck Pennington (UK) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU)
4. Jerry Lopez (UK) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU)
5. Kevin Lai (UK) vs. Justin Butsch (LSU)
6. Grant Roberts (UK) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU)
1. Tom Jomby/Kevin Lai (UK) vs. #20 Chris Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU)
2. Alejandro Gomez/Beck Pennington (UK) vs. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU)
3. Nils Ellefsen/Ryuji Hirooka (UK) vs. Andrew Korinek/Eric Perez (LSU)