BATON ROUGE -- The LSU women's tennis team (11-7, 4-3 SEC) topped Mississippi State University (6-10, 0-7 SEC) in a 5-2 decision, after clinching the doubles point and adding four singles points on Friday at W. T. Dub Robinson Stadium.
LSU raced out to an early 3-1 lead before Whitney Wolf clinched the match for the Lady Tigers as she triumphed in routine fashion over Alexandra Perper 6-4, 6-4 on court one.
"We've been playing doubles really well, and I think we came out a little flat today," LSU head coach Tony Minnis said. "Then we definitely picked it up in singles, and we played really solid. Any time you can get a win in this conference is good, and Mississippi State has a very solid team."
After splitting the first two doubles matches, Ariel Morton and Kaitlin Burns overcame pressure on court three to clinch the doubles point 8-6.
Court one saw Whitney Wolf and Keri Frankenberger, defeat Petra Ferancova and Rosaline Dion 8-4 to win the first doubles match of the day.
Ekaterina Iakovleva and Olesya Tsigvintesa produced a worthy rebuttal for Mississippi State over Yvette Vlaar and Olivia Howlett on court two.
Yvette Vlaar kicked the Lady Tigers off in singles, as she cruised past Rosaline Dion 6-1, 6-1 on court six.
Shortly after, Ebie Wilson toppled Petra Ferancova on court five with a 6-1, 6-2 victory, placing LSU one point away from victory.
Kaitlin Burns was third off the court after falling on court three to Ekaterina Iakovleva 1-6, 3-6 for the first Mississippi State point, making the score 3-1, for Wolf to ensure victory.
With the match won, Keri Frankenberger and Olivia Howlett continued to battle through their third sets.
Frankenberger took a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory over Naomi Tran on court four.
Reigning SEC Player of the Week Olivia Howlett won the first set, but could not overcome Olesya Tsigvintseva on court two in the final match of the afternoon 2-6, 7-5, 6-4.
LSU hosts No. 17 Ole Miss Sunday at noon CT.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and onwww.facebook.com/lsuwten.
#35 LSU 5, Mississippi State 2
1. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) def. Olivia Howlett (LSU) 2-6,7-5, 6-4
3. Ekaterina Iakovleva (MSU) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-1,6-3
4. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 6-1, 3-6,6-2
5. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Rosaline Dion (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. PetraFerancova/Rosaline Dion (MSU) 8-4
2. Ekaterina Iakovleva/Olesya Tsigvintseva (MSU) def. YvetteVlaar/Olivia Howlett (LSU) 8-6
3. Ariel Morton/Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. AlexandraPerper/Naomi Tran (MSU) 8-6
Mississippi State 6-10; 0-7 SEC
LSU 11-7; 4-3 SEC; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,3,1,4,2)