BATON ROUGE -- The LSU men's tennis team battled hard, but could not hold off SEC foe, No. 9 Kentucky, Friday, dropping the match 5-1.
The 17th-ranked Tigers (6-3) got off to a slow start in doubles, which eventually would cost the team the match.
The 38th-ranked Tiger tandem of junior Olivier Borsos and freshman Chris Simpson picked up a win for LSU, taking care of Kentucky's Anthony Rossi and Tom Jomby, 8-6.
On the top court, the 39th-ranked duo of senior Neal Skupski and sophomore James Turbervill encountered their first loss of the season, falling victim to No. 27 Eric Quigley and Panav Jha in a tight 8-6 match.
After a couple of delays due to rain, the Wildcats (12-3) clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 victory by Alex Musialek and Alejandro Gomez on court three over LSU's Roger Anderson and Stefan Szacinski.
"We came out a little flat or maybe even nervous today and it cost us the doubles point," head coach Jeff Brown said. "We battled in singles, but when you get down like that against a quality opponent, it is just really hard to come back."
Down 1-0, the Tigers dropped five of their six first sets in singles, putting themselves in a hole. However, the Tigers were not going down without a fight.
On court one, 66th-ranked Borsos played at an elite level, making No. 6 Quigley fight for his 7-5, 7-5 (4) victory in what proved to be a nail-biter.
After dropping his first set in a tiebreaker, Skupski put the Tigers on the board, knocking off No. 16 Musialek, 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-3.
Senior Tom Knights and Simpson played competitive tennis against their ranked opponents, but could not finish.
The match was called at 5-1. Turbervill and Kentucky's Grant Roberts did not complete their match.
"We had a chance today, but it didn't happen," Brown said. "We are really close, and you always learn more from your losses. Our team is developing into a group of competitors and that is a great characteristic to have going into the heart of the season."
The Tigers will complete their five-game homestand with Sunday's match against another SEC opponent, No. 48 Vanderbilt. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. CT.
Be sure to follow @lsutennis on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis for updates on the Tigers and match play.
Tennis Match Results Kentucky vs LSU
Mar 02, 2012 at LSU
(W. T. Robinson Stadium)
#9 Kentucky 5, #17 LSU 1
1. #6 Eric Quigley (UK) def. #66 Olivier Borsos (LSU) 7-5 (6-4), 7-6
2. Neal Skupski (LSU) def. #16 Alex Musialek (UK) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-3
3. #14 Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. #98 Tom Jomby (UK) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-7 (6-8), 7-5, 6-0
5. #107 Alejandro Gomez (UK) def. Tom Knights (LSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
6. James Turbervill (LSU) vs. Grant Roberts (UK) 7-5, 5-7, 2-2, unfinished
1. #27 Eric Quigley/Panav Jha (UK) def. #39 Neal Skupski/James Turbervill (LSU) 8-6
2. #38 Olivier Borsos/Chris Simpson (LSU) def. Anthony Rossi/Tom Jomby (UK) 8-6
3. Alex Musialek/Alejandro Gomez (UK) def. Roger Anderson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 8-6
Kentucky 12-3; National ranking #9 LSU 6-3; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,2,5,4)
Tubervill (LSU) v. Roberts (UK) did not finish.