27 Selected to SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- LSU placed 27 student-athletes on the 2009 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll Friday as released by the league office.
The Tiger football team headlined the list with 12 selections highlighted by guard Lyle Hitt, who recorded 33 consecutive starts to wrap up his career dating back to LSU's 2007 National Championship season. The Baton Rouge native graduated in December 2009 with a degree in kinesiology. Hitt, a recipient of the 2009 Coates Scholar-Athlete Award which goes to the top student-athlete on the football team, along with Richard Dugas and Joseph Maltempi have tallied multiple SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll selections.
Eight members of LSU's soccer team earned spots on the Honor Roll as the program came away with a 15-4-5 record en route to its third consecutive SEC Western Division crown and NCAA Tournament selection. Melissa Clarke, Allysha Chapman and Chelsea Potts, three of the four Tigers chosen to the NSCA All-South Region teams, were among the honorees.
Seven players from LSU's volleyball team made the list as the Tigers won their first overall SEC championship since 1991. Sam Dabbs and Marina Skender garnered All-SEC First-Team accolades and picked up AVCA All-American Honorable Mention status. LSU finished the season 25-7 and notched its fifth straight NCAA Tournament appearance.
The 2009 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll is based on grades from the 2009 Spring, Summer and Fall terms.
Any student-athlete who participates in a Southeastern Conference championship sport or a student-athlete who participates in a sport listed on his/her institution's NCAA Sports Sponsorship Form is eligible for nomination to the Academic Honor Roll. The following criteria should be followed:
(1) A student-athlete must have a grade point average of 3.00 or above for either the preceding academic year (two semesters or three quarters) or have a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above at the nominating institution.
(2) If a student-athlete attends summer school, his/her grade point average during the summer academic term must be included in the calculation used to determine eligibility for the Academic Honor Roll.
(3) Student-athletes eligible for the Honor Roll include those receiving an athletics scholarship recipients of an athletics award (i.e., letter winner), and non-scholarship student-athletes who have been on a varsity team for two seasons.
(4) Prior to being nominated, a student-athlete must have successfully completed 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of non-remedial academic credit toward a baccalaureate degree at the nominating institution.
(5) The student-athlete must have been a member of a varsity team for the sport's entire NCAA Championship segment.
2009 SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll
Player, Sport, Major
Christopher Bryan, Football, Kinesiology
David Detz, Football, Biological Sciences
Richard Dugas, Football, Management
Zachary Elkins, Football, Construction Management
Richard Gillen, Football, Sport Administration
Lyle Hitt, Football, Kinesiology
David Impastato, Football, Biological Sciences
Austin Kinchen, Football, Undeclared
Patrick Lipoma, Football, Biological Engineering
Patrick Lonergan, Football, Management
Joseph Maltempi, Football, Chemical Engineering
Jordan Newell, Football, Biological Sciences
Nazily Alcoser, Soccer, Sport Administration
Courtney Alexander, Soccer, Kinesiology
Allysha Chapman, Soccer, Biological Sciences
Melissa Clarke, Soccer, Mass Communication
Hannah Jobe, Soccer, Sport Administration
Katherine Lagow, Soccer, Political Science
Kellie Murphy, Soccer, Undeclared
Chelsea Potts, Soccer, Finance
Sam Dabbs, Volleyball, Sport Administration
Lauren DeGirolamo, Volleyball, Ed Technology
Brittney Johnson, Volleyball, Accounting
Tania Schatow, Volleyball, Kinesiology
Marina Skender, Volleyball, Sport Management
Lauren Waclawczyk, Volleyball, Management
Michele Williams, Volleyball, Elementary Education